ABATEMENT OF POLLUTION
India has recently launched many programmes and schemes to address the problem of pollution:
1) Continuous Emission Monitoring System (CEMS) mandates the highly polluting industries to install 24X7 real time monitoring of emission and effluent discharge points.
2) Common Effluent Treatment Plants (CETPs) are being set up to treat the effluent emanating from the clusters of compatible small - scale industries.
3) The Fly Ash Utilisation Policy makes it mandatory to use only fly ash/ fly ash based products in construction of buildings, roads and reclamation / compaction of land within a radius of 100 km from a coal or lignite based thermal power plant, thus displacing the cement use. It also mandates utilisation of Fly Ash for backfilling or stowing of the mines.
4) Standards related to effluent discharge have been modified for over 2000 industries focusing on reducing quantity of waste water generation, conservation of water, promote Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) and use of treated effluent for irrigation.
5) In 2014, a National Air Quality Index (AQI) was launched for Indian cities. AQI is based on six pollutants and is notified every day serving as public information tool to disseminate information on air quality in qualitative terms.
6) Amendment of Municipal Solid Waste Management (Management and Handling) Rules is underway which will emphasize on proper segregation of waste at source; enhance waste processing and implementation of scientific landfills. Similarly, Bio-Medical Waste (Management & Handling) Rules, Plastic Waste Management Rules, e-waste (Management) Rules and Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules are being amended for a more scientific, technology driven, regulated and participative environment management.
India announces its INDC ahead of COP21 in Paris
Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar announces India's INDCs
India’s INDC is prepared in a balanced and comprehensive manner to reflect all issues of
mitigation, adaptation, finance, technology transfer and capacity building while simultaneously endeavoring to meet all the developmental challenges that the country faces today.